ElmScan 5 Compact USB Scan Tool Review
I’m thinking you came here to solve a problem with your vehicle which is one of the biggest investments you’ll make after your house. It makes sense to maintain it as inexpensively as possible to get the most value out of it.The ElmScan 5 USB Scan Tool is an excellent tool to do just that.
The ElmScan 5 USB Scan Tool is another entry-level auto code reader that is directed toward the budget-minded DIY vehicle owner. It differs from the hand-held scanners by letting you turn your computer into a advanced diagnostic system.
It is fully OBD ii compliant and works with any Windows PC with a USB port. It comes to you with all the necessary hardware and software to figure out your vehicles problems.
Here is what will be in the package that arrives on your doorstep: ElmScan 5 Compact unit Quick Start Guide Installation CD (device drivers, user documentation, OBDwiz diagnostic software)
Don’t let the inexpensive cost of this tool turn you off. It is a feature-rich product that will perform all the tasks you will typically need to do to identify and fix the problems that cause your “Check Engine Light” to come on.
When you install the OBDwiz diagnostic software program that is included free with the ElmScan 5 scan tool you will be able to…….
- Turn off check engine light, and erase stored diagnostic information
- Read & erase stored, pending & permanent trouble codes(both generic & manufacturer-specific. Over 7000 codes in database)
- Do an online lookup of probable causes & possible solutions
- Access freeze frame information
- Display, graph & log 90+ real-time parameters
- Create custom digital dashboards
- Measure and display fuel economy data
- Give your mechanic the info they need to make the right repair at the right price
- Not feel intimidated when you go into the repair shop because you’ll be armed with data you need to get your vehicle fixed quickly without unecessary costs
If you feel that you need a more sophisticated diagnosis tool the system is compatible with the following third party software:
- ScanTool.net Diagnostic Software
- ScanXL Standard & Pro (including GM, Ford, and Mazda add-ons)
I know you’re thinking that with such a low price will you get the value you are looking for. I will go out on a limb here and say YES! you will.
Need more? Here are some of the Pros and Cons we found in our research……
- This product comes with a 90 day money back guarantee, and a 3 year “repair or replace” warranty.
- Supports all OBD protocols and systems, including CAN, OBD-II, EOBD and JOBD.
- Easy to install and use.
- Allows you to read and clear trouble codes
- The database has over 7000 generic and manufacturer-specific trouble codes
- Allows you to turn off Check Engine light, view Freeze Frame.
- It will display, record, and graph 90+ real-time parameters plus calculate fuel mileage
- The OBDwiz comes with free unlimited updates.
- You need to have access to a Windows-based PC, preferably a laptop or notebook. Your desktop will work but may require a really long USB extension cord.
- The third party software (if you really think you need it) will cost you more than the tool itself.
- Your mechanic will be mad that he can’t charge you $60 -$100 for 5 minutes of work.
Still need more?????
Here are some review excerpts from owners just like you……….
A bargain and it works great!, January 8, 2011 Crazy Abey I purchased the ElmScan 5 to diagnose engine trouble on my 1999 Lincoln Town Car. The product was easy to set up… easy to use, and worked perfectly. The ElmScan 5 more than meets the needs of this shade tree mechanic. The included software it basic, but runs circles around a handheld scan tool. I would definitely recommend it! See original review here.
Best scan tool for the money!, January 6, 2011 Kyle ……Easy install, easy hookup, and lots of data! This is about the same price or cheaper than any other scanner on the market, and it does more than much more expensive ones! A regular OBD scanner at this price would have a dinky little screen and a couple of buttons. That’s a far cry from having the graphs and real time data that I get on my ElmScan… Seriously, if you are a car enthusiast with an OBDII vehicle, get this product! This review was edited for space reasons. See full review here.
Great Deal For The Money, April 14, 2010 S. Wolford As the title says, it’s a great deal for the money. Most scan tools are cheap, and the software is extremely expensive. This one? Cheap and cheap. There are countless websites out there for software for the wonderful ELM 327 IC, which makes this piece of equipment very versatile. I have ScanXL, wOBD, obd-2 and they haven’t failed me yet. I tested it on my girlfriend’s dad’s 2004 Ford Explorer that has a bad tire sensor. Within moments, ScanXL told me exactly what tire sensor was bad, and notified me of misfire issues that I didn’t know were even present…… This review was edited for space reasons. See full review here.
At the end of the day having your vehicle run reliably relieves a lot of the pressure we experience in our everyday life. Using the ElmScan 5 Scan Tool will help to ensure that your car, SUV, pickup or minivan is performing at its best for as long as you own it. And the cost to own the ElmScan 5 is about the same as taking the family out to the buffet for supper! Don’t forget the 90 day money back guarantee or the 3 year ‘repair or replace’ warranty.
Your vehicle will love you for it!
Will the ElmScan 5 work with my vehicle? The ElmScan 5 works with all 1996+ model year cars and light trucks:
- Alfa Romeo
- Aston Martin
- Buick Cadillac
- Land Rover
- MG Mini
- Roush Rover Saab